Senior Counsel, Medical Affairs
Responsible for overseeing research and educational grant agreements by Varian's Medical Affairs function that establish relationships with academic institutions, hospitals, clinics, foundations, and similar partners. Works with personnel in Medical Affairs and Legal, as well as external legal counsel, to prepare such agreements and strategically manage the overall portfolio. Agreement types may involve single or framework research agreements, clinical trial agreements, educational grant agreements, data use agreements, non-disclosure agreements, in-kind loans or grants, amendments, extensions, and terminations.
• Direct and oversee portfolio of investigator-initiated research grant agreements and educational grant agreements by Medical Affairs.
• Develop, document, and socialize consistent strategic negotiating stances across all agreements in the portfolio.
• Serve as legal escalation point for contract managers in Medical Affairs who negotiate research and educational grant agreements.
• Directly negotiate agreements involving especially complex issues or strategic considerations.
• Independently manage oversight of multiple simultaneous ne